Okagbare, Dibaba, Others to be Inducted into Hall of Fame

first_imgThis accolade will be bestowed at the Welcome Dinner for athletes and officials participating at the 21st African Athletics Championships, Asaba 2018.The event, organised by CAA and Delta State Capital Territory Development Agency is slated for 5pm on July 31, 2018 at the Event Center, Asaba.The State Governor Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, IAAF President Sebastian Coe, CAA President and members of his executive committee, top government officials at Federal and State level, diplomats and the LOC led by its Chairman Solomon Ogba will graced the occasion.Other members of the team that will inducted into the Hall of Fame are Dominique Duncan, Regina George, Christy Udoh, Olusoji Fasuba and Tosin Oke are two other Nigerians that will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.It is not going to be an all Nigerian affair, Olympics and World Champion Tirunesh Dibaba from Ethiopia will be inducted into the Hall of Fame, ditto her compatriot Mesert Defar who has also won medals at theOlympics and the World Championships.Other Ethiopians on the list include Genzebe Dibaba a world record holder and champion, Almaz Ayana an Olympics and World Champions and Kendnisa Bekele a legend in long distance, road races and marathon and world record holder.South Africa duo of Caster Semanya and Wayde van Nieckert both Olympics and World Champions will be inducted.Also on the list are Kenyan trio of Vivian Cherivyot, the king of 800m David Rudisha and Ezekiel Kemboi.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram COUNTDOWN TO CAA ASABA 2018The golden girl of Nigeria athletics, Blessing Okagbare and other members of Team Nigeria’s 4×200 quartet that won gold at the 2016 IAAF World Relay in Bahamas will be inducted into the Confederation of African Athletics (CAA) Hall of Fame.last_img read more

Emails show former Iowa DHS official’s Tupac fixation before his ouster

first_imgDES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Emails show that the director of the Iowa Department of Human Services had an obsession with the late rapper Tupac Shakur during a 2-year tenure before the governor requested his resignation last month.Jerry Foxhoven hosted weekly “Tupac Fridays” to listen to music in his office. He sent Tupac lyrics about love and change to inspire employees and he marked his own 65th birthday with Tupac-themed cookies.While some employees praised his Tupac fixation, one complained to lawmakers last year. Reynolds surprised Foxhoven by telling him to resign one day after Foxhoven had emailed his employees asking them to celebrate Tupac’s birthday.A Reynolds spokesman says “a lot of factors” went into the decision to seek Foxhoven’s resignation.last_img

South Africa steps up HIV testing drive

first_img23 October 2013 South Africa has bolstered its massive HIV testing programme by including eye, blood pressure and TB tests in the campaign, but more still needs to be done to ensure full coverage of testing, says Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe. Addressing MPs and NGO representatives in Parliament in Cape Town on Tuesday at the start of a two-day HIV testing campaign targeting parliamentarians, Motlanthe said that more than 20-million South Africans had been tested for HIV since the launch of the country’s testing campaign in 2010. The campaign has targeted various workplaces and communities across the country, ranging from farms and taxi ranks to mines, banks and universities. Currently, HIV tests are complemented by screening for TB and high blood pressure. As HIV affects eyesight, eye tests have also helped to expand the reach of the campaign. “We must continue our programmes to achieve full coverage and, more importantly, we must maintain our focus on prevention, prevention and prevention,” said Motlanthe, who is also the chairman of the SA National Aids Council. He called on every South African to test annually for HIV, adding that it was important to test regularly so that people found to have the virus could take the appropriate action. “Those that test negative must do everything possible to ensure that they maintain their negative status, and those that are HIV-positive need to enrol in our treatment, care and support programme,” he said. Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi said that, before the launch of the HIV testing and counseling campaign in 2010, voluntary testing reached just two-million South Africans a year, whereas after the first year of the campaign about 18-million South Africans knew their HIV status. At the same time, the number of South Africans receiving free anti-retroviral (ARV) treatment had increased from 923 000 to 2.1-million people, while the number of facilities offering ARV drugs had climbed from 490 to 3 540 facilities countrywide, and the number of nurses trained in treating HIV/Aids had grown from 250 to 23 000. Also addressing MPs, the Speaker of the National Assembly, Max Sisulu, said the country had faced a heavy burden of HIV/Aids. “Each one of us knows of a family member, a friend, a neighbour, a colleague, or comrade who is living with HIV/Aids or who has succumbed to it,” Sisulu said. “Thankfully, we are however at a tipping point in the fight against HIV/Aids and TB,” he said, adding that he was particularly encouraged by recent statistics that revealed that the number of new HIV infections had declined and that the number of HIV/Aids-related deaths were decreasing. However, he said, the country needed to push harder to reach zero infections and to end discrimination against HIV/Aids. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

Morgan Stanley: Mobile Internet Market Will Be Twice The Size of Desktop Internet

first_imgTags:#mobile#Trends#web What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technologycenter_img Related Posts Morgan Stanley has released a couple of bulky documents about the mobile Internet: ‘The Mobile Internet Report,’ a 424-page report which explores eight major themes; and ‘The Mobile Internet Report Key Themes,’ a 659-slide presentation that drills down on thoughts covered in the report. We’ve embedded both documents below.Perhaps the most remarkable statement in the report is that the Mobile Internet market will be “at least 2x size of Desktop Internet,” which Morgan Stanley bases on analysis comparing Internet users with mobile subscribers.The report starts out by saying that Apple’s iPhone/iTouch/iTunes ecosystem “may prove to be the fastest ramping and most disruptive technology product / service launch the worldhas ever seen.” It goes on to state that “a handful of incumbents (like Apple, Google, Amazon.com and Skype) appear especially well positioned for mobile changes.”Growth in the Mobile Internet is being driven by 3G adoption and the increasing popularity of smartphones, of which the iPhone is the leader in terms of Web traffic. Morgan Stanley predicts that smartphones “will out-ship the global notebook + netbook market in 2010E and out-ship the global PC market (notebook + netbook + desktop) by 2012E.”The firm has always been bullish on mobile Internet, as Mary Meeker’s Web 2.0 conference presentations over the years show. See also our analysis of Meeker’s 2009 Web 2.0 presentation.The reports are far too big to summarize here, so we recommend you read them below – or download from Morgan Stanley’s website.See also:Top 5 Web Trends of 2009: Mobile Web & Augmented Reality and Top 10 Mobile Web Products of 2009Via ScribdVia Scribd richard macmanuslast_img read more

Petron blazes past Iriga City in Batangas

first_imgBrace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC View comments CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Nazareth, La Salle reach Rebisco semis unscathed Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City03:27Foton, Branislav ready for PSL’s biggest conference01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa MOST READ Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH As early as the opening set, Iriga City coach Parley Tupas surrendered every illusion of scoring an upset against Petron on Saturday.In a huddle, when they were trailing, 20-10, Tupas was telling his charges to “relax, we have nothing to lose, let’s just score as much points as possible.”ADVERTISEMENT Iriga City did lose. But it wasn’t clear if Tupas was happy with the points his team collected.The Blaze Spikers, brimming with confidence as well big-name stars, hammered out a 25-12, 25-15, 25-22 triumph over Iriga in the Chooks to Go-Philippine Superliga Grand Prix at Batangas City Sports Center.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutPetron registered its sixth win in seven games, while handing Iriga City its fifth defeat in seven outings. Both will qualify for the quarterfinals.From the onset, when the Blaze Spikers piled up a 7-1 lead, it was very clear they were leagues away from the Oragons, who simply had no answer for Petron’s massive firepower anchored on Lindsay Stalzer, Hillary Hurley, Remy Palma and Ria Meneses, among others. LATEST STORIES Kris Aquino ‘pretty chill about becoming irrelevant’ Read Nextlast_img read more

Lexus ES 300 Hybrid drives into Indian market at Rs 59.13 lakh

first_imgLexus has launched the seventh-generation Lexus ES in India. The Lexus ES 300h is powered by a 2.5-liter, four-cylinder petrol engine combined with the new, fourth-generation Lexus Hybrid Drive System, the hybrid electric ES 300h.The new ES 300h is the all-new Global Architecture – K (GA-K) platform. The sedan now gets a lower stance and proportions with slim LED headlamps with distinctive L shaped marker lights. Lexus says that in keeping with the Lexus spirit of hospitality, or omotenashi, passenger comfort, a hallmark of the classic ES range remains the highlight in the seventh-generation as well.To increase passenger comfort the driver’s control panel and the display has been moved closer to the driver, to provide extra space for the front passenger. Rear passengers are assured of a comfortable ride with an extended legroom of 998.6 mm, made possible by the longer wheelbase. Guided by human-centered design principles, console mounted climate and audio controls along with adjustable and heated semi-aniline seats, and the 17 speaker Mark Levinson Pure Play system, Lexus states it creates the perfect ambiance.The ES 300h features a new fourth generation Hybrid Drive system. The Euro 6 compliant, new hybrid electric system coupled with the four-cylinder petrol engine, delivers improved linear acceleration according to Lexus with a combined 160 kW of total power, and a mileage of 22.37 km/l.The safety list of the ES 300h is impressive which includes 10 airbags, Hill Start Assist, Vehicle Stability Control, and Anti-theft system, with break-in and tilt sensors. Also, the cockpit features a 7-inch LCD instrument panel with a large analog tachometer, digital speedometer and an easy-to-read multi-information display, in addition to a fully adjustable color heads-up display that projects relevant vehicle information onto the windshield.advertisementThe navigation system on the 12.3-inch Electro Multi-Vision (EMV) full-size display, and the wireless charger built into the new ES, further aid in reducing distractions while on the road. Precise steering inputs are delivered by a new rack-assist type Electric Power Steering (EPS) system, and the ES offers a Drive Mode Select system that allows the driver to tailor the car’s settings to varying road conditions with Eco, Normal and Sport modes. MacPherson struts in front, a trailing arm and a multilink setup in the back with stabilizer bars at each end, coupled with 18-inch, multi-spoke alloy wheels. Additionally, due to the reconfigured rear suspension, cargo room has been increased, and the new ES 300h features 454 L of cargo space with an auto-open trunk, that also fits in a full sized spare wheel.For the interiors, the sedan features four color schemes, and three types of trim, in addition to the array of nine paint colors available on the exterior. Along with Black, Chateau and Topaz Brown, the ES also introduces a light new Rich Cream interior that offers a contrast to the deep brown dash and roof trim. The ES offers two shades of Shimamoku wood trim (black, brown), as well as light-colored Bamboo. The mark of Takumi craftsmanship is evident in the new ES, in the soft padding of the instrument panel, where each stitch is embedded into materials for a 3-D effect.The Lexus ES 300h will be available for booking from 19th July 2018 at Rs 59,13,000 (Pan-India)(ex-showroom).last_img read more

10 months agoCardiff make offer for Watford target Adrien Tameze

first_imgCardiff make offer for Watford target Adrien Tamezeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCardiff City have made an offer for Nice midfielder Adrien Tameze.The Daily Mail says Cardiff have made a £10m move for Tameze and hope to fend off competition from Atalanta and Watford to sign him next week.Tameze, 24, is valued by Patrick Vieira but the offer is difficult for Nice to turn down. Neil Warnock also hopes to add a right back and a striker with Cardiff having made an offer for Anderlecht’s Ivan Santini.Cardiff City defender Paul McKay is joining Morecambe on loan. Neil Warnock wants the highly rated 22-year old to gain more game time and can cover a number of positions. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

Ohio State Looking Into Braxton Miller Advocare Instagram Photo

first_imgBraxton Miller running with the football for Ohio State.COLUMBUS, OH – SEPTEMBER 19: Wide receiver Braxton Miller #1 of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks to run the ball in the first quarter against the Northern Illinois Huskies at Ohio Stadium on September 19, 2015 in Columbus, Ohio. (Photo by Andrew Weber/Getty Images)Ohio State may have a Braxton Miller problem, and somehow, it isn’t related to whether he’ll be named the starting quarterback in 2015. Tuesday night, Miller may have made a mistake in promoting Advocare products on his Instagram page – something considered in violation of NCAA bylaws. According to James Grega Jr. of The Lantern, Ohio State is looking into the situation.OSU spokesman on Miller situation, “We are looking into this.” Might be nothing, but has attention of OSU athletic department— James Grega Jr. (@JGrega11) March 25, 2015Considering Ohio State’s recent history when it comes to player-related NCAA violations, expect the school to do its due diligence here. Whether Miller will be punished by either Ohio State or the NCAA remains to be seen.last_img read more

Cameco shuts production for 10 months at 2 Saskatchewan sites 845 jobs

first_imgSASKATOON – Workers at two uranium facilities in northern Saskatchewan are facing tough times after Cameco announced Wednesday it was shutting down productions at the Sask. sites.Cameco (TSX:CCO) said 845 jobs would be “temporarily” lost by the end of January due to the shutdowns at Key Lake and McArthur River.The McArthur River site mines uranium ore and sends it to Key Lake for processing.The company said about 210 workers would be kept on at the facilities to ensure they maintained a safe shutdown mode.The suspension is expected to last 10 months, but more details are to be provided when fourth quarter results are released in February.Cameco cited market oversupply and low uranium prices as reasons for the production suspension.They noted prices have fallen over 70 per cent since an earthquake and tsunami in Fukushima, Japan devastated a nuclear facility in 2011.Operations at Rabbit Lake were suspended in April 2016, resulting in 500 job losses.The company announced third-quarter losses of $124 million on Oct. 27, one year after turning a profit of $142 million in the same time span.(CKOM)last_img read more