NEWPORT BEACH – Once Jay Haas earned a share of the Toshiba Classic lead after the opening round, it was apparent he enjoyed the view from the top. Haas put on an exhibition on how to play with a lead, going on to win the Champions Tour event Sunday in record fashion with a final-round 6-under 65 to win at 19-under 194, two shots ahead of R.W. Eaks. “It’s hard playing with the lead,” said Haas, who broke the tournament record of 17-under-par set by Hale Irwin in 2002. “It’s hard to be aggressive.” Haas shared the lead with five others after Friday’s first round, then gained a one-shot lead over Peter Jacobsen at 13 under entering the final round. He had just one bogey for the tournament, the par-3 No. 8. But if there were any breakdown in his game, Haas turned it aside. He birdied No. 9 to make the turn at 2 under, then added three straight birdies on the back nine and gained a cushion that no one else would touch. “I don’t want to say I was comfortable,” Haas said. “But with a three to four-shot lead, I didn’t want to do anything stupid.” Since joining golf’s senior circuit in 2002, Haas has forged ahead to become one of its top players. He won last year’s player of the year award after winning four titles and a record $2.4 million. The $247,500 victory was his first of the season, but already his fourth top-10 in only six events. The 50-and-older tour seems to suit Haas quite well. After winning nine times in 29 years on the PGA Tour, he has won seven Champions titles in more than three years. “I certainly continued to ride the wave from last year,” Haas said. “I’ve played well all year. I got a lot of breaks today; all week, too.” Eaks fired a final round of 65, too, but it didn’t seem to matter much. He said he knew he was playing for second place after the 12th hole. “Every time I made a birdie, he made one on top of me,” Eaks said. “It really was something to watch. “It’s such a pleasure to play with him because he makes you play better.” Prior to the final round, Eaks said he didn’t think anyone could catch Haas. He was right. “It was a nice week,” said Eaks, who spent most of the 1990s playing on the Nationwide Tour and only two years on the PGA Tour. “Any time I can play golf on the Champions Tour is good. Believe me, there are a lot other things I could be doing. Playing on the Champions Tour is the best.” Joe Ozaki and Ben Crenshaw tied for third at 13-under 200. It was Crenshaw’s highest finish in his Champions career, while Ozaki matched his best finish. Not bad for someone who earned his way into the field by earning a spot in the open qualifier. Helendale resident Mark Johnson tied for 30th at 6-under 207, while Redlands resident Dave Stockton tied for 58th at even-par 213. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
In the 16 years since Japan and South Korea hosted the tournament, with the latter reaching the semi-finals, they have each only made it beyond the group stages once, in 2010.Frenchman Philippe Troussier took Japan to the last 16 on home soil in 2002 but believes they have “no chance” of making the knockout phase this time despite avoiding the tournament favourites in their group.Japan sacked coach Vahid Halilhodzic in April but the decision to hire Akira Nishino has failed to inspire an immediate turnaround in fortunes, with warm-up friendly defeats against Ghana and Switzerland.“Even if they play with (Jose) Mourinho or Arsene Wenger, it would be so difficult for Japan to get to the last 16,” Troussier told AFP.Halilhodzic’s unwillingness to use some of Japan’s star names such as Keisuke Honda and Shinji Kagawa resulted in his dismissal.However, even with their return, Japan lack the individual talent available to their opponents in Group H. Colombia boast the talent of James Rodriguez, Poland can field Robert Lewandowski and Liverpool’s Sadio Mane is the star man for Senegal.– Spurs star Son –South Korea do have one outstanding talent in Tottenham’s Son Heung-min.Son scored 18 goals this season, including four in seven Champions League games, but has struggled to recreate that form when tasked with being the main man for his country.Defeats to Bosnia and Senegal either side of a drab 0-0 draw with Bolivia in warm-up games have done little to inspire confidence that South Korea can rival Mexico or Sweden for second place behind Group F favourites Germany.The Saudis’ poor showing in Moscow against an unfancied Russia also does not bode well for an Australian side that finished below them in qualifying and face the might of France on Saturday.Australia had to go through a mammoth 22-game qualifying campaign, including two playoffs, to make it to Russia.However, they too have undergone a recent change in coach with Bert van Marwijk, who took the Netherlands to the final in 2010, inspiring an upturn in fortunes with recent wins against the Czech Republic and Hungary.Despite a myriad of problems including cancelled warm-up friendlies and Nike’s decision to stop supplying boots due to US sanctions, Iran may provide the Asian confederation’s best chance of registering a win.Carlos Queiroz’s men stormed through qualifying undefeated in 18 games, conceding just five goals in the process.Queiroz’s defensive set-up frustrated Nigeria and Argentina four years ago and their opening game against Morocco on Friday offers an early chance to make an impression before tougher tasks against Spain and Portugal.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Asian anguish: Saudi Arabia’s 5-0 thrashing by Russia got Asia’s World Cup off to a terrible start © AFP / Patrik STOLLARZSAINT PETERSBURG, Russian Federation, Jun 15 – Asia’s quartet of World Cup representatives failed to deliver a single victory four years ago and hopes of a turnaround in Russia are low, with continental powerhouses Japan and South Korea struggling for form.Five nations qualified from the Asian confederation for the 2018 World Cup but Saudi Arabia’s 5-0 thumping at the hands of the hosts in the tournament opener followed the pattern of miserable performances and results for Asian sides in Brazil.
Cardiff make offer for Watford target Adrien Tamezeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCardiff City have made an offer for Nice midfielder Adrien Tameze.The Daily Mail says Cardiff have made a £10m move for Tameze and hope to fend off competition from Atalanta and Watford to sign him next week.Tameze, 24, is valued by Patrick Vieira but the offer is difficult for Nice to turn down. Neil Warnock also hopes to add a right back and a striker with Cardiff having made an offer for Anderlecht’s Ivan Santini.Cardiff City defender Paul McKay is joining Morecambe on loan. Neil Warnock wants the highly rated 22-year old to gain more game time and can cover a number of positions. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
COLUMBUS, OH – SEPTEMBER 19: Wide receiver Braxton Miller #1 of the Ohio State Buckeyes looks to run the ball in the first quarter against the Northern Illinois Huskies at Ohio Stadium on September 19, 2015 in Columbus, Ohio. (Photo by Andrew Weber/Getty Images)Ohio State may have a Braxton Miller problem, and somehow, it isn’t related to whether he’ll be named the starting quarterback in 2015. Tuesday night, Miller may have made a mistake in promoting Advocare products on his Instagram page – something considered in violation of NCAA bylaws. According to James Grega Jr. of The Lantern, Ohio State is looking into the situation.OSU spokesman on Miller situation, “We are looking into this.” Might be nothing, but has attention of OSU athletic department— James Grega Jr. (@JGrega11) March 25, 2015Considering Ohio State’s recent history when it comes to player-related NCAA violations, expect the school to do its due diligence here. Whether Miller will be punished by either Ohio State or the NCAA remains to be seen.
WINDSOR, Ont. – A 25-year-old man in Texas has been arrested after a 12-year-old Ontario girl was allegedly encouraged to send explicit photos of herself to him.Windsor police say the girl began chatting through an instant messaging app with a person she believed to be another young girl in September 2016.They say that person convinced the Windsor girl to send photos of herself in various stages of undress, supposedly to prove she was female.The person then allegedly threatened to publish those photos online if the girl did not send more images of herself.Windsor police say they began an investigation after the girl and her mother came forward in October 2016.Investigators say they determined the girl had been communicating with someone in Dallas based on data from the messenger app service, and worked with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to identify the suspect.
A member of the Ohio State men’s tennis team is single and looking – for a new doubles partner, that is. Blaz Rola, a junior from Slovenia, wants to continue the streak of success he had last season into this year. The Buckeyes (8-1) entered the 2013 season coming off a record-setting 2012 campaign, when then-sophomore Rola and his then-senior doubles partner Chase Buchanan became the first tandem in collegiate men’s tennis history to capture three major national championship titles in a single season. The then-No. 1-seeded duo finished their season with a 36-4 overall record and a perfect 14-0 run in three major tournament victories – D’Novo/ITA All-American Championships, USTA/ITA National Indoor Championships and NCAA Championships. “(Blaz and Chase) were two guys who put a lot into their tennis game, and two guys who have a deep appreciation for OSU athletics. It was great to see those guys accomplish (tournament wins),” said coach Ty Tucker. Rola said the pair’s accomplishments stemmed from complementing one another’s games well. “I was more of a baseline game guy, staying in the back, and (Chase) was more with the quick hands on the net with the volleys. Our returns worked so well in doubles, and that’s what made us a great team,” Rola said. After the celebrations had died down and the trophies were placed in glass cases, the partners had to face a certain reality – Buchanan was graduating, and Rola was staying behind. Rola said that Buchanan, who graduated as one of OSU’s most decorated athletes ever, has gone on to join the United States Tennis Association professional national team in Florida. Buchanan did not provide comment despite multiple attempts to reach him. The OSU men’s tennis team has since been faced with the task of finding a new partner for Rola in the wake of the All-American talent it had in Buchanan. “To replace Chase is going to be really, really hard – almost impossible. I don’t think I can find someone that I had such a great chemistry with,” Rola said. “But I’m 100 percent sure that I can find, out of the (11) players we have, a partner that I have chemistry with.” Tucker said the team ensures its consistent play by learning a universal formation that translates to flexibility in pairing for doubles game. “We play the same doubles formation on all three courts. You’re going to lose people in college tennis to injury, and you’re going to lose people to graduation, so everyone has to be on the same page,” Tucker said. “We’ve been fortunate enough in doubles to win some points because all three courts play the same system and everyone is taught the same way.” Even as the team draws close to the middle of its season, Rola said he’s not yet found the new partner for him. “Changing partners for me at least is not such a big deal … I’ve played with (redshirt sophomore) Kevin (Metka) a couple matches, I’ve played with (redshirt sophomore) Hunter (Callahan) a couple practice sets, I’ve played with (senior) Connor Smith a couple practice sets. With everyone I’ve played with, it’s just been great … (But) I don’t have a specific partner,” Rola said. Smith, one of Rola’s doubles partners this year, said he has enjoyed helping the team out in doubles play so far. “(Chase’s) shoes are huge shoes to fill … so I’m not really trying to fill any shoes. I’m just doing my best to help out the team and get a point,” Smith said. Smith said the team aims to repeat its doubles win at the NCAA tournament this year. “(To win) is our whole goal. We go (to) a tournament to try and win it and bring something back for our season,” Smith said. Rola could not repeat his coveted three-peat from last year because he spent the fall playing tournaments in Europe. As the season continues, Tucker said he is willing to continue experimenting up until tournament time to find the right player combinations. “You’ve got to make sure that all three doubles spots have the best chance to win, and sometimes you have to split people up,” he said. The Buckeyes are set to continue tournament play on Friday at the ITA National Team Indoor Championship in Seattle, Wash.
Luciano Spalletti is uncertain about Radja Nainggolan’s fitness against Torino but insists Inter Milan “made the right choices” in the defeat to Sassuolo.Spalleti’s side are considered favourites to challenge Juventus for the Scudetto, but they shockingly lost 1-0 to Sassuolo in their first league game.“We can look back and recognise some things we did better than others, but we remain convinced we made the right choices against Sassuolo,” said the Coach in his Press conference.“During the match, we lacked the unity and confidence we had last year during the fight for fourth place. For new elements of our approach to work, we must also rely on those tried and tested certainties.“I know my players and the way we train will sort everything out.”Meanwhile, Walter Mazzarri’s Torino were only beaten by a last-gasp Edin Dzeko volley in the 1-0 loss to Roma.“Toro always go out there with daggers drawn. We’ve got to do well to seek a victory, whether it’s pretty or not. We must be ready to go beyond the limits.Capello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“This is a strong side, and it is, therefore, our duty to have a strong season. I don’t know if we’re the main challengers to Juve, as first, we must be the challengers to Roma and Napoli, seeing as they finished ahead of us last season.“If we just evaluate the Sassuolo match, we’re not the main challengers to anyone, as we have to do better. We’ve got to take the initiative and carry that belief to bring the result home. We are in debt with our fans, and they deserve more.”Mauro Icardi seemed isolated even when supported by Lautaro Martinez, Matteo Politano, and Kwadwo Asamoah.“He has always been a great hitman with precise characteristics, but he can do even better. In my view, if he drops deep to dialogue with his teammates, he’ll create more problems for the opposition defenders.”Radja Nainggolan missed the trip to Sassuolo with a muscular problem and could get his Inter debut tomorrow.“Nainggolan is in the squad, but we have to be wary because the supervision of the medical staff is crucial here. There are some risks, and we’ll decide what to do.“Milan Skriniar has recovered completely, and Keita Balde is at our disposal. We’ve got to keep a strong balance in the team.”
Everton has lost the last two matches the team played in the English Premier League and for the manager, consistency is the key for victoryEverton started its 2019 the same way it ended its 2018: with a 1-0 defeat.And for manager Marco Silva, the key to return to their winning ways is consistency.“If you look at the past performances and results, we haven’t been consistent,” he told the club’s official website.“This is the moment to be honest and look clearly at the game, to analyze the match, and pass the feedback to our boys”Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“I felt our team was too nervous in some moments in the match. We did not put our game out there,” he added.“We knew before the match what they [Leicester] came here to do.”“We know, because of how they respect us, how they will come here to play. They started the game with a 4-5-1, blocking the space and waiting for our mistake,” he explained.“We made a mistake and they scored in that moment, which made things more difficult for us and after that we didn’t create the good moments to change the result for us.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, December 20, 2017 – Providenciales – Cabinet yesterday approved, among other things nearly $1m for hurricane reconstruction work in the country by TCIG. The supplementary appropriation bill was also accepted by Cabinet leader, the Governor during meeting this week and will now head to the Secretary of State in the UK and then to the House of Assembly in the Turks and Caicos for approvals.Media was on Tuesday evening told by the PNP House of Assembly Members that the Budget Supplementary, which frees up monies for the rebuilding in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, will not be tabled now until the New Year.#MagneticMediaNews#BudgetchangesapprovedbyCabinet