Budget cuts will hurt the sick and children

first_imgJust like last year, the White House has released a national budget proposal that drastically slashes foreign aid. What does this money do?For starters, it ensures that millions of people get treatment for tuberculosis, which is currently the world’s biggest infectious killer. It helps babies get the medical care and nutrition they need to grow into healthy kids. It gives girls a chance to go to school.Cutting these programs would deny millions of people a future. This isn’t who we are.Congress knows it, which is why it fought back last year to stop the proposed cuts. They must do the same now.DARREN SKOTNES DelmarMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationAlbany County warns of COVID increaseEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinionlast_img read more

All that glitters

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Japanese cement firm to spend $220 million for 15% of Semen Indonesia subsidiary

first_imgJapanese cement producer Taiheiyo Cement Corporation has announced its interest in buying a stake in a subsidiary of state-controlled cement producer PT Semen Indonesia to establish a strategic partnership.Taiheiyo signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the subsidiary, publicly-listed PT Solusi Bangun Indonesia (SBI), on April 21, sealing its intention to invest US$220 million for a 15 percent stake through a rights issue, SBI wrote in a statement.The investment would forge a strategic partnership that would include SBI exporting products to Japan through Taiheiyo, as well as research, development and technology on cement production, SBI’s Indonesia Stock Exchange (IDX) disclosure document reads. “The implementation of the partnership would be regulated in a definitive agreement that would be signed in the future,” the document says.In a separate statement obtained by The Jakarta Post on Thursday, Taiheiyo said the alliance with Semen Indonesia and SBI was also aimed at a long-term boost to business, as cement demand in Japan may decline due to the aging population.“Although we believe cement demand will remain at a certain level in the medium term due to infrastructure renewal and disaster prevention and mitigation, we expect demand will decline in the long run caused by a declining birth rate and aging population,” Taiheiyo wrote.The Japanese cement producer also believes that demand in the emerging market will expand in the future due to economic growth.“We expect infrastructure demand will increase due to rapid urbanization,” Taiheiyo said, adding that it was also committed to maintaining sustainability along with the expansion.As of 1 p.m. on Friday, Semen Indonesia’s share price was down 3.62 percent at Rp 6,650 (43 US cents) per share. Meanwhile, SBI’s share price—listed under the ticker code SMCB on the IDX—was up 13.08 percent at Rp 1,470 apiece. Topics :last_img read more

Pandemic to bring surge in child wasting cases: UN

first_imgThe unprecedented social and economic crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic will see nearly seven million more children experience stunting as a result of malnutrition, the United Nations said Tuesday.Even before COVID-19 there were an estimated 47 million children under five who were moderately or severely wasted, most living in sub-Saharan Africa and southeast Asia. Now as lockdowns and international trade routes disrupt vital aid supplies, the UN warned that the coronavirus pandemic could have an “intergenerational effect” on the health of millions.  “The profound impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on early life nutrition could have intergenerational consequences for child growth and development and life-long impacts on education, chronic disease risks and overall human capital formation,” wrote the researchers.The models showed that in the worst case scenario where the pandemic could cause young children to miss 50 percent of their nutritional care and treatment services, nearly 180,000 could die this year alone.Wasting is responsible for one in 10 infant deaths in low- and middle-income countries and recent research suggested the pandemic will throw an additional 140 million people into extreme poverty — that is, living off less than $1.90 a day.In countries already experiencing a humanitarian crisis, the United Nations’ children’s fund has warned that up to 100 percent essential nutrition services could be disrupted. An accompanying open letter signed by the World Health Organization’s chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that this could be alleviated somewhat, but that aid agencies need a minimum additional $2.4 billion to protect at-risk children. “We must step forward together with sustained action and investments on nutrition today and deny the COVID-19 crisis and intergenerational legacy of hunger and malnutrition in children,” it said. Writing in The Lancet medical journal, a team of experts showed the results of computer modeling estimates on food supply in 118 poor and middle-income nations.They found that the prevalence of moderate or severe wasting among under-fives would increase 14.3 percent — equating to an additional 6.7 million cases. Wasting occurs when the body is so acutely malnourished that its muscles and fat begin to diminish. A host of research initiatives have shown clear links between wasting and chronic and severe health conditions later in life.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Arsenal confirm head of football Raul Sanllehi has left the club

first_img Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 15 Aug 2020 12:07 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.1kShares Comment Arsenal have confirmed head of football Raul Sanllehi has left the club (Picture: Getty)Arsenal have confirmed Raul Sanllehi has left the club with Vinai Venkatesham, the current managing director, set to lead the club going forwards.The reason for the Spaniard’s sudden departure haa not been declared, but the news comes 24 hours after reports emerged that the club planned to hold an internal investigation into their recent transfer business, amid concerns Arsenal had paid dramatically over the odds to recruit Nicolas Pepe last summer. The Ivory Coast international joined from Lille in a £72million club record deal after Sanllehi used his connection with the French club’s CEO, Marc Ingla, who he knew from his Barcelona days, to get a deal done.AdvertisementAdvertisementIn a statement on behalf of the club’s owners, Kroenke Sports & Entertainment, Stan and Josh Kroenke said: ‘Raul has made a big contribution during his time with us and will always be part of the Arsenal family. We thank him for all his hard work and expertise and wish him every future success.ADVERTISEMENT‘We have no doubt that Vinai is the right person to take the club forward. He has shown outstanding leadership during the current crisis and is held in high regard internally and externally. We know everyone will rally round him so we can move forward successfully.’ Arsenal are to hold an internal investigation into the transfer of Nicolas Pepe (Picture: Getty)Venkatesham, who has been at Arsenal since 2010, said: ‘I am thankful to Stan, Josh and the rest of the Arsenal Board for their trust in me. I will miss working closely with my colleague and friend Raul, but I am looking forward to this new challenge.‘There is much work to do to return Arsenal to the top of the game where we belong, which is what our fans rightly demand. While this will not happen overnight, I believe we have many of the critical ingredients to do so. There are many positives to build on across the club.‘While football faces uncertainties ahead as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, I am confident Arsenal will emerge strongly and look forward with confidence.’Sanllehi, who joined from Barcelona, said: ‘I’m proud and pleased with the contribution I’ve made at Arsenal over the past three years, and look forward to enjoying the club’s future success. Arsenal is a true footballing institution.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘I am proud to have been part of its history and I thank Stan and Josh Kroenke for this opportunity. Working with Vinai, we have built a top team for the future. Mikel has made an extremely positive impact since his arrival and has formed a strong team with our technical director, Edu.‘The academy is in very safe hands with Per, and Huss Fahmy is a talented and highly-capable leader of our football operations. Personally, I now look forward to taking some time off and spending time with family and friends before setting to work on a new challenge and cheering Arsenal on to great things.’MORE: Tony Cascarino slams Mesut Ozil for not seeking a move away from ArsenalMORE: Arsenal legend Alan Smith urges Mikel Arteta to sign two more players after Willian transferAdvertisementAdvertisementFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisement Arsenal confirm head of football Raul Sanllehi has left the club Advertisementlast_img read more

Balmoral house goes to auction for first time ever

first_imgPat Mulheran was one of the founding members of Balmoral Cycling Club.Whether the house will be renovated or detonated will be up to the highest bidder at the auction this weekend.“It’s a bit of a time capsule inside,” Mr Yates said.“We’ve had some interest from people potentially renovating it and some looking at knocking it down. Also going under the hammer this weekend is a character Queenslander on an elevated 607sq m block at Windsor. Norma Mulheran in kitchen in the 1960s. The house is in immaculate condition and many are decided whether they would renovate or detonate.“Pat Mulheran was one of the founding members of the Balmoral Cycling Club and he and a bunch of friends built a track by hand at Hawthorne Park to ride bikes on,” Mr Yates said.“He and Norma, his late wife, were very involved in the Parish of Saints Peter and Paul, and did a lot of community work.”More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus14 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market14 hours ago It has character features. Downstairs there is also a large office with multiple multi-purpose rooms including desks, another bathroom and a kitchenette. Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 1:58Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -1:58 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD576p576p360p360p216p216pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenWhy location is everything in real estate01:59 Local businesses have chipped in to help the charity get the house ready for sale. Ms Harvey is selling the property at a reduced commission, and a number of local business have donated their services to help BYS get the house ready for sale. The house is less than 4km from the CBD and has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a sunroom/fourth bedroom, an enclosed wrap-around verandah, a spacious kitchen and deck.Features include tiber flooring, decorative archways, fretwork and VJ walls. The house is like a time capsule.Mr Yates said the block was “one of the best” sites to build on due to its 20m frontage.“There’s really wide frontage, no trees, no easements and very little slope.”He said the block had “lovely breezes” and was close to local schools and the Oxford St hub.The house will go to auction on-site this Saturday, at 4pm.center_img The house while under construction – check out those cars!Following Mr Mulheran’s death last year, the house is up for sale for the first time in its history.The agent marketing the property, Steve Yates of Place New Farm, said Mr Mulheran’s family has lived in the suburb for more than a century, and Mr Mulheran’s blood, sweat and tears went into building the lowset brick house. Once a home for at-risk youths looking for a fresh start, this house is now on the market. And a spacious kitchen.The property will go to auction at 9am on Saturday. The house at 14 Walkers Drive, Balmoral, will go to auction this weekend.They bought the block of land with just £3000 ($5468.63AUD).That was back in the 1960s, when Pat and Norma Mulheran set out to build their family home at 14 Walkers Drive, Balmoral. The kitchen had a touch up at some point.“He actually dug the foundation by hand,” Mr Yates said.The couple raised two children in the home and were well-known in the southeast Brisbane community. Owned by Brisbane Youth Service, it has previously been used for office space and the accommodation of at-risk and homeless youth.But the charity is now selling the property in order to move to a bigger premises, and agent Shannon Harvey of Place Bulimba is chipping in.last_img read more

Select Committee hears CYF complaints process doesn’t work

first_imgRadio NZ News 21 August 2013A select committee has been told that Child, Youth and Family’s complaints process is laborious, time-consuming and ultimately ineffective.A complainant, Graeme Axford, says his complaint to the service’s advisory panel in 2009 was upheld but no one was held responsible and still nothing has changed.Currently people can complain to that panel, the Social Worker Registration Panel or the Ombudsman.But Mr Axford says that is exhausting and usually fruitless.Former police commissioner Howard Broad is currently leading an inquiry which is considering whether to set up an external independent body for complaints.Mr Axford says that would be a good solution.http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/217558/select-committee-hears-cyf-complaints-process-doesn’t-worklast_img read more

Murder rap puts woman behind bars

first_imgThe suspect was detained in the custodial facility of the Tapaz municipal police station. The court recommended no bail bond for her temporary liberty./PN Erna Felomino was tagged as the No. 5 most wanted person in the police station of Tapaz, Capiz.Felomino’s apprehension on July 20 was staged on the strength of an arrest warrant, the report added. ILOILO City – Charged with murder, a woman was nabbed in Barangay San Andres, San Rafael, Iloilo.last_img

Wood-Mizer contest winner using locally built product

first_imgNEW POINT, Ind. – Wood-Mizer is announcing the winners of their 2014 Business Best Contest, a long-standing tradition that recognizes Wood-Mizer sawmill owners who have demonstrated exceptional business methods.Honey Grove Hardwoods LLC won first place in the Industrial Sawmill category. The Pennsylvania-based company is utilizing a Wood-Mizer WM4000 Industrial Headrig to produce grade lumber for molding and caskets.The WM4000 is one of several products manufactured at the New Point facility.The contest also recognizes companies in Oregon, California, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Washington, South Carolina and Louisiana.Each winning business was featured in The Wood-Mizer Way, a customer magazine for the portable and industrial sawmill industry with a circulation of more than 35,000.last_img read more

Area Boys Basketball Scores (2-24)

first_imgArea Boys Basketball Scores.Friday  (2-24)South Ripley  50     Jac-Cen-Del  45Greensburg  45     East Central  34Union County  48     Milan  46North Decatur 77   Rushville 63 (2-OT)South Decatur  70     Knightstown  60SW Hanover  52     South Dearborn  36Trinity Lutheran  57     Rising Sun  45Eminence  55     Waldron  53Morristown  79     AP Academy 19last_img