To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The United States on Monday slashed by nearly half the number of Chinese nationals allowed to work for their state-run media in the United States, vowing reciprocity as Beijing restricts foreign press.The move comes two weeks after China expelled three Wall Street Journal reporters, although the United States said its decision was based on leveling numbers between the countries rather than retaliating over content.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that China has “imposed increasingly harsh surveillance, harassment and intimidation against American and other foreign journalists operating in China.” “We urge the Chinese government to immediately uphold its international commitments to respect freedom of expression, including for members of the press,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement.A State Department official said that five media outlets, which last month were reclassified by the United States as foreign missions, would be allowed to employ a maximum 100 Chinese nationals as of March 13, down from around 160 now.The United States is not explicitly expelling the 60 staff members, who in theory can seek employment elsewhere, although most are expected to be obliged to leave the country.China on Feb. 19 threw out three reporters from The Wall Street Journal — two US nationals and an Australian — over what it deemed a racist headline on an opinion piece in its harshest move against international media in years. Chinese citizens who work for other media outlets in the United States are not affected, the official said, and state-run media outlets will not be barred from hiring employees of other nationalities.”The US government has long welcomed foreign journalists, including PRC journalists, to work freely and without threat of reprisal,” Pompeo said.”Our goal is reciprocity. As we have done in other areas of the US-China relationship, we seek to establish a long-overdue level playing field,” he said.Last year the United States issued 425 journalist visas to Chinese citizens, including family members, according to official data. The organization most affected by the order will be the state news agency Xinhua, which will be allowed to keep 59 Chinese staff in the United States, according to a State Department officialThe China Global Television Network will be permitted 30 nationals. The China Daily can have nine Chinese employees and China Radio International will be permitted two. The fifth organization is the US distributor of the official People’s Daily which is not believed to employ Chinese nationals. In reclassifying the five outlets under foreign missions last month, the State Department required them to seek permission to buy property and also to provide lists of their staffs, including the growing number of Americans they employ. Topics :
Denmark’s largest commercial pension fund PFA is planning to step up its real estate investment this year, putting up to DKK7.5bn (€1bn) into the asset class in 2015 and looking increasingly at foreign investments.The DKK400bn pension fund said new investment abroad would focus on the UK and Germany, as well as Asia.The planned level investment of this year is significantly higher than the DKK5.3bn the fund invested in property in 2014.Michael Bruhn, director at PFA Ejendomme (PFA Real Estate), said: “With interest rates right at the bottom and not appearing likely to rise immediately, property investments are particularly interesting for us. “So we expect to increase our investment level significantly in comparison to last year and reckon on investments of up to DKK7.5bn in 2015.”The pension fund said it made an 8.7% or DKK1.7bn return on property in 2014.Gains have been made on both domestic investments as well as foreign, with dollar and sterling currency market movements having further boosted profits, PFA said.While a significant part of PFA’s investments would continue to be within Denmark, the pension fund said it was increasingly looking at foreign markets for investment opportunities.It said it was focusing on Germany, the UK and, to an increasing extent, Asia, having been cautious about investing in the latter region up to now.“The Danish property market has a limited size, and it can only support a certain volume of investors,” said Bruhn.Because of this, PFA is looking more at other countries, and the main markets that are interesting are those where there is growth in the general economy, he said.“This is the case in Germany and other countries, but we are also looking at – among other regions – Southeast Asia, with an ever-increasing level of interest, where we believe the market is now about to become interesting for us,” Bruhn said.
Electromagnetic Geoservices (EMGS) said it has entered into various agreements with oil companies involving data licensing (late sales) related to 3D CSEM data from the library in the Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea.The agreements represent revenues of USD 3.5 million.According to the company’s multi-client data library, EMGS in Norway covers 50,000 square kilometers of 3D full azimuth multi-client data in the Barents Sea.EMGS’ multi-client data in the Norwegian Sea covers the Ormen Lange area, the Nordland Ridge and basalt provinces in the Vøring and Møre Basins.
Indianapolis, In. — Republican state senator from Oldenburg Jean Leising will serve on the following study board, council, commission and committees during the summer and fall to help prepare lawmakers for the 2019 legislative session:Community and Home Options to Institutional Care for the Elderly and Disabled BoardCorn Marketing CouncilIndiana Protection and Advocacy Services CommissionInterim Study Committee on Energy, Utilities and TelecommunicationsState Fair Advisory Committee“A variety of topics will be discussed over the next several months pertaining to agriculture, education, elderly residents and technology,” Leising said. “The Interim Study Committee on Energy, Utilities and Telecommunications will look into the regulation of automatic dialing machines and changes in technology related to robocalls, telephone solicitation and cybersecurity. Discussing and hearing testimony on these topics will make us better informed in each of these areas, and I am ready to get started.”When Indiana’s part-time legislature is not in session, lawmakers serve on interim study committees that meet to review the state’s top issues, as identified by the General Assembly during the prior legislative session.Study committee topics are assigned by the bipartisan Legislative Council, comprised of 16 voting members — eight from the Senate and eight from the House of Representatives.To view interim committee agendas and stream hearings online, visit iga.in.gov. To view a list of topics that will be examined, click here.
RelatedPosts Super Eagles stars model new national team jersey Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ EPL: Foxes attack Burnley Leicester’s £50 million-rated midfielder Wilfred Ndidi has revealed he was scared when he first joined The Foxes.The 23-year-old admitted filling N’Golo Kante’s boots in the title-winning side had put him under pressure from day one. Kante secured a big money move to Chelsea on the back of his pivotal part in leading Leicester to their shock title win in 2016.Kante won huge acclaim for his role in that fairytale story and Ndidi knew he had to prove he was up to the job.He took the plunge with a £17 million move from Belgian outfit Genk in January 2017 and hasn’t looked back.Ndidi said: “The pressure I had was that they just won the league. Kante left and they were looking for a replacement. Seeing this whole situation, it was very scary for me.“I was comfortable at Genk but it was like an opportunity for me to actually develop in my career. “It was the right time for me to go because Genk wanted me to progress in my career.“It was difficult at that time because I had to leave for another country and start afresh.“Even during training, everyone wanted to see what I can do because the person who just left actually made a mark. So, the pressure was just there.”Ndidi, who has been linked with Manchester United and some of Europe’s biggest clubs, told Out of Home podcast that he just had to buckle down and try to be himself.He added: “I encouraged myself to be myself and not trying to fill anybody’s shoes. “All I wanted to do was make a mark for myself which is so possible; and after playing the first two games, I got comfortable.”Tags: Leicester CityN’Golo KantePremier LeagueWilfred Ndidi
The conclusion was incorrect, with Rooney having requested he skip a light first-team session ahead of Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial on Saturday night in preference for a more strenuous session with the second string in order to build up his fitness. As it happens, the move may have a positive spin-off for England given Rooney’s failure to make a public appearance during the past four weeks. Yet Moyes could be forgiven feelings of unease given the proximity Rooney will find himself in to so many senior Chelsea players, including Ashley Cole, a close personal friend of the former Everton man. Hodgson can see no point in asking them to stay away from each other. “That might be difficult,” he said. “Ashley Cole and Wayne are quite close friends. David Moyes must know that as well. “If they weren’t speaking in a hotel, they would be speaking on the telephone. “I must say my thoughts have been so focused on what squad I can get together that I haven’t taken it into real consideration. “That’s not to say I shouldn’t and I do accept a duty of care because both David Moyes and Jose Mourinho have been fully supportive and understand my situation.” With the full backing of Manchester United manager David Moyes, Hodgson has included Rooney in his England squad for next Wednesday’s friendly with Scotland. This despite the fact Rooney has not played a competitive game during a pre-season when his Old Trafford future has been thrown into doubt amid an apparent desire to join Chelsea and the Blues’ own public interest. There have been instances in the past of Rooney’s notoriously short fuse blowing at times of personal torment. It is something Hodgson is aware of, although he does feel the player has the discipline to cope. “Sometimes we forget you cannot divorce the way a person is from the way he plays,” said Hodgson. “We expect them always to play at the level we expect of them, irrespective of their mental or physical state. We can’t dismiss that. “But in the year and a bit I have been working with him, Wayne Rooney’s discipline has given me no concern. “If he does take some part in the game I would expect him to put any personal or professional concerns he might have behind him and give everything for England.” Yet Hodgson must be aware of Rooney’s news value. That he trained with United’s reserve squad on Thursday spread like wildfire, with the immediate assumption being that the move had been triggered by Moyes having grown weary of the player. England boss Roy Hodgson is confident Wayne Rooney has a strong enough mentality not to let the turmoil he is experiencing at Manchester United carry over on to international duty. Press Association
McMenemy is happy to see Koeman carrying on with the policy he helped establish by scouting youngsters from Newcastle, Bath and London during his 12-year spell as Saints boss. He believes the young players in Koeman’s squad will get a chance to shine in next season’s Europa League, provided they qualify. “In the Europa League you need more players so the youth policy will carry on,” said McMenemy, speaking on behalf of the The Football Foundation, which is celebrating 15 years of improving the country’s grassroots football facilities. “That is when you find out how strong they are, but the signs are good.” :: Lawrie McMenemy was unveiled as a Football Foundation Ambassador and was speaking at a visit to one of nearly 500 3G pitches the Foundation has delivered. Many of these pitches are used by professional clubs’ community trusts’ outreach work. Since its launch in 2000 the Foundation has supported 13,000 grassroots sport projects with grants worth £520m and leveraged £736m in additional partnership funding, thereby delivering schemes with a total project cost of £1.24bn. Southampton now have 60 points to their name and could finish as high as fifth if results go their way on the final weekend of the season. Regardless of how they perform against Manchester City on Sunday, Saints will finish with their highest points total since the 1984-85 season, when McMenemy led the team to fifth. “Yes, he should win (manager of the year). He’s got my vote,” said McMenemy, the club’s most successful manager of all time. “There are a lot of others being mentioned like Jose Mourinho, Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe, but Ronald has done a terrific job. “Half the team walked out the door last year and something had to be done quickly. The best appointment they made was Ronald Koeman. “He used all his connections and experience to get the right people in. He is a top man, the manager.” Although he has signed some stars from abroad, Koeman has also been keen to maintain Southampton’s tradition of blooding youngsters in the first-team. Academy products James Ward-Prowse, Matt Targett and Harrison Reed – among others – have featured for Saints this season. Press Association Lawrie McMenemy thinks Southampton’s Ronald Koeman should win the manager of the year award. Southampton were considered relegation candidates last summer when Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Calum Chambers, Dejan Lovren, Ricky Lambert and manager Mauricio Pochettino left St Mary’s Stadium. Koeman had a threadbare squad when he replaced Pochettino, but the Saints boss has bought wisely and his team surpassed last year’s points tally with three matches to go.
Published on August 29, 2012 at 1:34 am Contact Josh: firstname.lastname@example.org Before the 2010 season, a trio of college players contacted Syracuse head coach Phil Wheddon with an interest in transferring to the SU program. They wanted to make a change and asked about joining his team.Heading into the 2012 season, Alyscha Mottershead, Skylar Sabbag and Brielle Heitman have become part of the SU soccer family.“The girls were all so welcoming when we came in,” Sabbag said. “It doesn’t even feel like we transferred, it feels like we’ve been here all along. We’re all so tight-knit.”Wheddon said the transfer rate is high in college soccer because players often commit at a young age, and by the time they come to campus, it’s not what they were promised or expecting. He said SU has been fortunate to gain quality players from other programs, and the three Orange transfers each brought something unique to the team when they arrived.Mottershead was the most decorated of the trio. The forward from Ontario competed globally for the U-17 Canadian National Program and decided to attend Iowa for her freshman season. Sabbag and Heitman both attended Central Michigan, but transferred to Syracuse because of the strong team bond.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThis season, the seniors will try to help the Orange build off a 7-8-3 season in which the team made the Big East tournament for the first time under Wheddon.“Luckily for us, the people that have transferred in have been quality people and quality players,” Wheddon said. “And they all contribute.”Mottershead is a two-year starter who brings a veteran presence and leadership to the team. Wheddon immediately recognized Mottershead’s professionalism and commitment to excellence, and named her a team captain in 2010.Her season at Iowa didn’t turn out as favorable as she wanted. The Hawkeyes went 9-11 and only 1-9 in the Big Ten. Mottershead said she realized Iowa wasn’t going to get her closer to achieving her goal of making the Canadian Senior National Team.She felt Syracuse’s coaching staff and development of the program made it a better place for her to do that.For Sabbag and Heitman, the journey was different than Mottershead’s.Not knowing each other, they both planned to attend Fairfield University, but they attended Central Michigan instead.“Like when two stars align,” Heitman said. “It’s like we were meant to be together.”The two immediately became best friends at Central Michigan, which eased the transition to Syracuse.“You get to spend as much time as you possibly can on and off the field together as best friends,” Heitman said. “Anytime together is the best kind of time.”Sabbag said the two have too many inside jokes to remember.“It’s funny because sometimes when we come to practice, Phil will implement some drills that we used to do all the time at Central Michigan,” Sabbag said. “We’ll just look at each other and be like, ‘Do you remember this one? We used to do this one all the time,’ so we have a lot of inside jokes that no one else knows.”Although they’re best friends, their roles on the team have differed. Sabbag, who called transferring one of the best decisions of her life, has started in two games on defense this season. Heitman has seen game action just once.“Skylar’s one of those players who doesn’t get a lot of accolades,” Wheddon said. “But she works hard and is a relentless defender. Defenders don’t always get the glory, but she performs well every day.”Wheddon said Heitman is on the verge of earning more playing time, but she needs to continue to make a consistent effort.Mottershead, Sabbag and Heitman have contributed to a program on the rise that is built on the close-knit foundation that attracted them as transfers.“Syracuse was always welcoming when I came in and everyone adopted me onto the team,” Heitman said. “From day one, I really loved it.”email@example.com Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Syracuse football will not retain long-time strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks, a source close to the situation confirmed Monday night. The source said that new head coach Dino Babers informed the team of this during his first team meeting Monday afternoon.The news comes on the same day that Babers was introduced as the 30th head coach in program history. When asked if Hicks would remain with the program as Babers shapes his new staff, the former Bowling Green head coach gave a two-sided answer.“I’m not going to talk about any individual futures, because I haven’t had the opportunity to talk to any of the old staff. I just don’t think it’s fair to jump out there on social media or something like that,” Babers said. “But I think the biggest thing that I think everyone needs to understand that when there’s a change, for it to be a change, there needs to be a change.“There has to be some people in the building that still recognize as people. There has to be someone in the building that can link the new with the old. But there’s going to be change. Unfortunately. That’s what happen when you don’t win.”That person will apparently not be Hicks, who started with the Orange as the head strength and conditioning coach in 2000. He was promoted to assistant athletics director for athletic performance in 2007, and has been revered by past and present players every step of the way.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSports editor Sam Blum, firstname.lastname@example.org, contributed reporting to this story Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on December 7, 2015 at 7:28 pm Contact Jesse: email@example.com | @dougherty_jesse