DODGERS NOTEBOOK LaRoche given shot to fill void

first_imgBy Tony Jackson STAFF WRITER SAN DIEGO – Tired of waiting for Nomar Garciaparra to return from the disabled list and tired of watching Shea Hillenbrand hit less than .250, the Dodgers addressed their third base crisis on Sunday by recalling Andy LaRoche from triple-A Las Vegas two days ahead of schedule. LaRoche immediately was inserted into the starting lineup, where he figures to get most of the playing time for the rest of the season. “We needed to make sure he was healthy and ready to play and had enough at-bats,” Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said. “We talked to (Las Vegas manager) Lo Bundy every day and talked to (Las Vegas trainer) Greg Herrel every day, and they said he was ready.” LaRoche, who has long been considered one of the organization’s top prospects, made his big league debut earlier this season, hitting just .211 in a monthlong stint. This time, he said he is better prepared to succeed because he knows what to expect. “I really noticed flying in that there were no butterflies or nerves like I had the last time I came up,” LaRoche said. “I know what it takes and what I have to do, so there is less pressure this time. “Also, I have been hitting well lately. Last time, I think I was hitting about .220 when I came up here.” No interest The Dodgers probably will release veteran right-hander Brett Tomko today, the 10th day after he was designated for assignment on Aug. 24. The fact Tomko hasn’t been traded doesn’t necessarily suggest there isn’t any interest on the part of other clubs, but it does mean no other club is willing to give up anything to get him. The Dodgers are still on the hook for about $1.6 million to Tomko, including the $1 million buyout on his mutual option for next season. Any club that signs him after the Dodgers release him will owe Tomko just a prorated share of the $380,000 minimum (presently about $70,000), with that amount then subtracted from what the Dodgers owe him. Getting close Although he still can’t run full speed without pain, Garciaparra is expected to be activated soon for pinch-hitting purposes. But even that is contingent on his being able to run half-speed to first base after putting a ball in play, and club officials still aren’t quite convinced Garciaparra can do that without doing further damage to his calf. “He doesn’t have to be able to run full speed,” Little said. “He has been pretty good with runners in scoring position (.404). We might just have him do that sometimes.” tony.jackson@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LaRoche went 0-for-2, with two strikeouts and two walks, in the Dodgers’ 5-0 win over San Diego. “He is going to get a lot of playing time,” Dodgers manager Grady Little said. Dodgers officials declined to promote LaRoche when active rosters could be expanded on Friday because he was only a week removed from the disabled list, where he had spent two weeks with his balky back. The plan at the time was to bring him up Tuesday, after Las Vegas concluded its season. But with Garciaparra having returned to Los Angeles on Saturday for an MRI on his strained left calf, and with Hillenbrand having struck out four times in seven at-bats and committed a costly throwing error in the first two games of this series, the need became too great to ignore. last_img read more

‘Lots of Reds forgetting what a good servant Skrtel was!’ – Liverpool fans react

first_img1 Martin Skrtel is leaving Liverpool for Fenerbahce After eight years on Merseyside, Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel is leaving the club to join Fenerbahce in Turkey.The Slovakian centre back has played 242 times for the Reds but has fallen victim of Jurgen Klopp’s squad restructuring.He was signed in 2008 by Rafa Benitez for £6.5m from Zenit Saint Petersburg and has earned the reputation of one of the Premier League’s hard men during his time in England.However, that time is at an end and while many Liverpool fans are delighted to see the back of him, there are others who aren’t so happy.See below as Reds divide over their support of the Skrtel.last_img

ADAM’S CELESTIAL PHOTO IS JUST MILKY WAY AHEAD!

first_imgAdam Porter’s stunning picture.People often ask us why we often feature Adam Porter’s photographs on Donegal Daily. And our answer is always that the pictures speak for themselves.The well-known Inishowen photographer caught this image on his way back from Banba’s Crown, Malin Head as he stopped off at Knockamany Bens above the Five Fingers Strand near Malin town. “It was a wonderfully clear Septembers night. The Milky Way rose high, airglow and celestial light filled the sky and I just stood and absorbed it all in. It was just wonderful,” said Adam.We’re inclined to agree. ADAM’S CELESTIAL PHOTO IS JUST MILKY WAY AHEAD! was last modified: September 29th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Adam PorterInishowenMilky Wayphotolast_img read more

DONEGAL LIFEBOAT FLAG DAY RAISES MORE THAN €4,000

first_imgThe organisers of a flag day for the RNLI which was held across Letterkenny on Friday last have said a huge ‘thank you’ to all those who contributed.Bundoran RNLI Lifeboat crew in action.A total of €4,319 was raised through bucket collections around the town.This money will now go towards the terrific work done by lifeboats around Donegal’s coastline. If you gave 20c or €20, the organisers say a big ‘thank you.’DONEGAL LIFEBOAT FLAG DAY RAISES MORE THAN €4,000 was last modified: August 9th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalflag dayletterkennyRNLIlast_img read more

TERMON PLAYS ITS PART IN 1916 CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS

first_imgTermon played its part in the 1916 centenary celebration when a plaque was unveiled near the Graveyard last night.A marching group of the 29 battalion of the Reserve Defense Force under the command of Commandant Donald McCafferty marched from the N56 to the site at the new graveyard, where a plaque in memory of all who died was unveiledCommandant McCafferty read the 1916 proclamationLieutenant Jonathan Hilferty, who was born in Barnes,Termon, raised the Tricolour while the Orr brothers played the uileann pipes The plaque was unveiled by two children from Termon National School Michaela Gallagher and Owen Gallagher.In an interfaith ceremony Father Pat McHugh, Rev Amanda Best and Rev Steward Wright performed a joint blessing.Cllr Ciaran Brogan, Chairman of the Donegal County Council , Cllr Michael Quinn on behalf of the Letterkenny area Councillors and Cllr Michael McBride on behalf of the Donegal County 1916 committee all addressed the assembled crowd.Prior to a group of children from Termon National School played the National Anthem MC James Trearty posed the question what will the Ireland of a 100 years from now be like to live in. TERMON PLAYS ITS PART IN 1916 CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS was last modified: April 24th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:1916Termonlast_img read more

5 more puppies saved from smugglers at Dublin Port

first_imgThis morning as part of Operation C-Port, Gardaí seized five Pomeranian puppies in a cage.They were bundled into the back of a van bound for England.The puppies were handed over the the DSPCA and will now be put up for adoption to a loving home. The van the puppies had been travelling in was seized by Gardaí for no insurance.This is the third incident in recent weeks of seizures of puppies by Gardaí at Dublin Port. 37 puppies were rescued from illegal smugglers over a 24 hour period last week.5 more puppies saved from smugglers at Dublin Port was last modified: September 2nd, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DSPCAgarda siochanaoperation c portpuppies rescuedsmugglinglast_img read more

Donegal man charged with murdering wife appears in court

first_imgA 41-year-old Donegal man has appeared in court charged with murdering his wife during a boating holiday at Lough Erne in April 2017.Lu Na McKinney, who is originally from China, was on holiday in County Fermanagh with her husband and two children last April. The 35-year-old mother went into the water at Devenish Island, Fermanagh. Stephen McKinney was arrested in Derry last week and was charged with murdering his wife in court on Tuesday.The accused with an address at The Flax Fields, Convoy, Lifford, Co Donegal, spoke only to confirm his name and that he understood the charge.Objecting to bail, a detective inspector told the court that the police considered Mr McKinney a flight risk because he has money and property in China.He also said there was a concern about further offending, as the police believed there was premeditation in this case.The inspector said Mr McKinney had given his two children, who are aged 14 and 11, permission to speak to the police.However, he said that so far, they were refusing to do so. The inspector said that in interviews, people had said they had a genuine fear about what Mr McKinney might do, if released.Bail was refused and he was remanded in custody to appear again by video link in Enniskillen next Monday.Donegal man charged with murdering wife appears in court was last modified: December 6th, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Lu Na McKinneystephen mckinneylast_img read more

Jorginho arrives in London to complete Chelsea transfer

first_imgNapoli midfielder Jorginho has arrived in London to complete his move to Chelsea, according to reports. Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland targets Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer LATEST Italy and Napoli’s defensive midfielder Jorginho is poised to join Chelsea Forward duo Jose Callejon and Dries Mertens have been linked with moves to Chelsea after starring last season as Napoli came agonisingly close to ending Juventus’ hold on the Serie A title. Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Dries Mertens established himself as one of Europe’s finest forwards under Sarri targets LIVING THE DREAM center_img RANKED Latest transfer gossip on talkSPORT.com IN DEMAND 2 REVEALED moving on Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father 2 Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti With Maurizio Sarri confirmed as the new Blues manager, Jorginho is expected to join his former Naples boss at Stamford Bridge.Sarri’s appointment was announced on Saturday – less than 24 hours after the Blues confirmed the sacking of Antonio Conte – signing a five-year contract.And, according to The Guardian, Jorginho flew into London on Friday to put pen to paper with Chelsea.The 26-year-old Brazil-born Italy international has chosen the Blues over Premier League champions Manchester City.The midfielder was heavily linked with a move to join Pep Guardiola at the Etihad Stadium, but Chelsea hijacked the deal at the 11th hour and are now set to announce their first summer signing.Reports claim he won’t be the only Napoli man to join Sarri at Stamford Bridge.last_img read more

ABBEY STUDENTS FAST TRACK TO SUCCESS IN F1 SCHOOL CHALLENGE

first_imgPictured is 5th year Abbey Vocational Team, D5 Racing, with Cieran Kelly Managing Director of Kelco Communications, one of the main sponsors of the team, at Kelco Communications Donegal Town this week. Back Row (l-r):- Darren Doherty, Cieran Kelly, Pauric Doherty, Gerry Diver and Abbey Vocational Woodwork Teacher, Martin Gallagher. Front: – Emmet Doogan and Manus Darby.Congratulations today to Abbey Vocational Students Gerry Diver, Darren Doherty, Manus Darby, Emmett Doogan and Pauric Doherty, otherwise known as D5 Racing, who were awarded Best Website and Best use of ICT and CAD at the Regional Finals of the Nationwide F1 in Schools Technology Challenge.The 5th year students were among 94 teams from 63 schools across 22 counties to accept the challenge to compete in the latest 2012-13 season of F1 in Schools competition.Reeling after their Regional Final success on Tuesday the boys are now racing towards the National Finals to take place in Griffith College on the 30th of April. The F1 in Schools Technology Challenge is part of an international competition to determine the best-engineered and fastest car in Ireland, with Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone as patron. Open to all secondary schools, the competition challenges students to design and manufacture compressed air-powered racing cars, using the latest of innovative technology and their own bright ideas.The competition inspires students to use IT to learn about physics, aerodynamics, design, manufacture, branding, graphics, sponsorship, marketing, leadership, teamwork, media skills and financial strategy, and apply them in a practical, imaginative, competitive and exciting way.With a combined experience of 10 years the team of five formed as AVS Velocity in the 2011-2012 season. Having won ‘The Best Engineered Car’ at last year’s Regional’s they advanced to the National Final in Dublin.“Last year we realized the true level of competition required to represent Ireland in the World Finals. We are delighted to regroup this year, overcoming the challenges we faced last year and putting our creative skills together to bring our new model even further in this year’s competition” says D5 Racing Business and Marketing Manager, Gerry Diver. “We would like to thank our sponsors Kelco Communications, Sandhouse Hotel, Road Team Ltd, All Sports and Studio 5, without whom, this project would not be possible”For more information of F1 in Schools Challenge and to track the progress of D5 Racing log onto www.d5racing.com. ABBEY STUDENTS FAST TRACK TO SUCCESS IN F1 SCHOOL CHALLENGE was last modified: March 12th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ABBEY STUDENTS FAST TRACK TO SUCCESS IN F1 SCHOOL CHALLENGEDonegal Townlast_img read more

DOHERTY, COWAN AND MAILEY ALL SIGN FOR HARPS

first_imgJames Doherty, Keith Cowan and Josh Mailey are the latest players to sign on for Finn Harps for the 2014 Season.They are pictured here with Manager Ollie Horgan and Club Register Chantelle Grant.  DOHERTY, COWAN AND MAILEY ALL SIGN FOR HARPS was last modified: December 18th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Finn Harps FCOllie Horganlast_img