National Assembly died on September 18, 2019

first_imgDear Editor,The life of the National Assembly ended on September 18, 2019, as a result of the non-extension of its life by a two-thirds vote as required by the Constitution for such extended period as determined by the National Assembly.Given the passage of the no-confidence vote in the Government on December 21, 2018, notwithstanding the frivolous appeal challenges in court on the validity of the no-confidence vote, the no-confidence vote was affirmed by the Chief Justice in the High Court earlier, and by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) on June 18, 2019, when the 90-day clock started to tick again for the life of the Government until September 18, 2019. These 90 days between June 18 and September 18, 2019, provided more than adequate time for President Granger and the Leader of the Opposition to confer in good faith consultations and negotiate a mutually agreed solution to avoid this constitutional crisis in the national interest.There was no constitutional extension by September 18, 2019. As a consequence, the National Assembly, the Cabinet, Offices of the Speaker and Leader of the Opposition are constitutionally dead and cannot be resurrected. The survivor is the caretaker President to proclaim a date for election and dissolve the National Assembly, but since the National Assembly is dead, there is no need for any dissolution. The constitutionally dead National Assembly cannot be called and convened into session on October 10, 2019The 90 days also between June 18 and September 18, 2019, was a reasonable constitutional time limit for GECOM to conduct the elections. In fact, the notice for elections was given since December 21, 2018, when the No-Confidence Motion was passed by the National Assembly.We now have to endure the shame of this constitutional crisis until free and fair elections are held and a new Government is elected, and this should be before December 21, 2019.Yours faithfully,Joshua Singhlast_img read more


first_imgFinn Harps continued their unbeaten run today as they overcame local rivals Letterkenny Rovers 2-1 at the Aura Centre.After a scrappy opening quarter, Harps settled in and got a grip on the game and began to dominate with Sean Reilly and Johnny Bonner looking lively.The opening goal started when Reilly robbed Glenn Gallagher, drove at the Letterkenny defence and slid the ball into Jordan Duffy who finished the move into the back of the net. Harps had a number of other chances thereafter but Rovers defended well with Jonathon Minnock still looking fresh.Harps killed off the tie in the second half when Jordan Duffy crossed for Johnny Bonner to finish.Rovers got a last minute penalty which the Stevenage-bound Dale Gorman dispatched with ease.On Saturday night, a 72nd minute goal from Sean McCarron earned Harps a 1-1 draw with Premier League champions Sligo Rovers at the Showgrounds. Peter Hutton will be pleased with how his side are developing with competition keen among his 29 signings for a first team place.******** – Donegal’s No1 News & Sports Website – more than 30,000 Visitors Every DayFollow the leader on: HARPS CONTINUE UNBEATEN RUN AGAINST SLIGO AND LETTERKENNY ROVERS was last modified: February 18th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:finn harpsLetterkenny RoversSligo Roverslast_img read more